by Dr Agilan Arjunan , Fertility Specialist , KL Fertility Centre ( Malaysia) .
Miscarriage is any woman’s nightmare. It is devastating to go through a miscarriage especially after a long struggle with infertility and having gone through treatment such as an IVF.
What causes miscarriage ?
- In the first 12 weeks :
- Genetic problem with the unborn baby
- Problems with the placental development (placenta is the structure linking mother’s blood flow to the baby)
- Mother’s age (higher risk with advanced age)
- Obesity , alcohol, smoking
- From 13-24 weeks:
- Mother’s illness such as Diabetes, high blood pressure
- Infection such as Rubella, HIV
- Food poisoning
- Certain medicine such as misoprostol
- Uterine or cervical problems
To add to this growing lists is COFFEE. Yes, too much coffee can increase the risk of miscarriage !
For both male and female, drinking more than 2 caffeinated drinks per day increases risk of miscarriage:
- For female : 74% increase (hazards ratio 1.74)
- For male : 73% increase (hazards ratio 1.73)
I know it’s a headache thinking about how to avoid miscarriage but more importantly remember that coffee is not the answer for your headache ! It might just bring your nightmare closer to reality.
Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160324133014.htm